Sumary of Here’s How Long Your COVID Booster Provides Protection:
- According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 200 million Americans have received their COVID-19 booster shots — and those millions of people are starting to wonder exactly how long the booster’s protection lasts.
- We know that the effectiveness of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine wanes over time, so it’s reasonable to assume the same of a booster.
- Even then, however, the booster provided more protection from COVID-19 than you’d have without it.
- The study looked at more than 241,000 COVID-related emergency department and urgent-care cases, as well as nearly 93,500 hospitalizations, spanning ten states.
- The data came in during a five-month period from August 2021 to January 2022, during which Omicron was the dominant variant in the US. Two months after the booster shot, the researchers found that vaccine effectiveness at preventing emergency-department or urgent-care visits was at about 87 percent;