Sumary of Learn More About the New 2-Dose, Plant-Based COVID Vaccine – Is It Effective?:
- The world’s first plant-based COVID vaccine, developed by Quebec company, Medicago, is hoping for Canadian approval by the end of 2021. During Phase 3 clinical trials, the shot showed a high efficacy rate against COVID infection — 71 percent against all variants and 75.3 percent against Delta when enhanced by GlaxoSmithKline’s booster.
- According to Nature, this new two-dose, plant-based COVID vaccine is made by inserting a genetic code into a bacteria.
- Then a close relative of the tobacco plant (Nicotiana benthamiana) is soaked in the modified bacteria, and the code teaches the plant to make a protein which is then used in the vaccine.
- This new vaccine also contains an additive known as adjuvant to help boost the immune response.
- But don’t contain any genetic material, so those who are ethically against vaccines derived from animals will feel more comfortable with this vaccine.