Sumary of A US Olympic Gymnastics Alternate Tests Positive For COVID-19 Ahead of the Tokyo Games:
- An Olympic gymnastics alternate from the United States tested positive for COVID-19 on July 18, according to a statement sent to the Associated Press from USA Gymnastics (USAG).
- This is the first known American athlete to test positive while in Japan.
- While USAG and the the US Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) did not release the name of the gymnast, alternate Kara Eaker’s coach Al Fong confirmed that she’s the alternate affected, as did her father.
- The other gymnast quarantining is fellow alternate Leanne Wong after being declared a close contact, USA Today confirmed.
- Wong’s parents confirmed she has tested negative, KSHB 41 News reports.