Sumary of Simone Biles’s Difficulty Scores Help Explain Why She’s Practically Unbeatable:
- Today, gymnastics is scored using a complex, two-pronged system, with one set of points awarded for the difficulty of a gymnast’s skills and another set awarded for how well those skills are executed.
- For any given routine, the difficulty score is the sum of: The point value of the 10 most difficult skills in the routine, with each skill only being counted once.
- The connection value, earned by successfully executing multiple skills in a row.
- The composition requirements, which allow athletes to earn up to 2.0 points by performing a set of elements that are required on that apparatus.
- In women’s gymnastics, each skill is categorized into one of 10 classifications, which have increasing point values as they become more difficult.