Sumary of These Handball Players Were Fined For Refusing to Wear Bikini Uniforms – Yep, You Read That Right:
- Per rules set by the International Handball Federation, women’s beach handball players must wear bikini bottoms “with a close fit and cut on an upward angle toward the top of the leg.
- Kare Geir Lio, president of the Norwegian Handball Federation (NHF), told the New York Times that the organization has complained about the uniform regulations since 2006. French national coach Valérie Nicolas called the rules “unfair,” telling Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang, “We have lost players due to the suits.
- ” She added that the bikini bottoms can hinder movement and make players feel uncomfortable when they’re on their period, or for religious reasons.
- To put it bluntly, Norwegian player Martine Welfler told NYT, “I don’t see why we can’t play in shorts.
- “That’s really sad because maybe the best players won’t participate.