Sumary of What You Need to Know About IUD Strings and Sex, According to an Ob-Gyn:
- When the IUD is inserted into the uterus, those strings are cut shorter but in a way that they come out of the cervix and into the vagina slightly..
- The length of those strings after they are cut can vary based on the individual and the medical provider performing the procedure, Dr. Dweck explained..
- Depending on how the strings are cut, Dr. Dweck said they can hang out of the cervix, curve around the outside of it, or curl up inside the cervix canal..
- “They [the strings] are simply a retrieval mechanism for when the IUD is removed, and they provide an easy way for one to check and confirm the IUD is in position month to month,”.
- In regard to penis-to-vagina intercourse, Dr. Dweck said most partners with male sex organs don’t feel or notice the IUD strings unless they are “pointing”.
- “While there is no medical danger to a male partner feeling IUD strings during sex, it may be slightly uncomfortable,”…