Sumary of U.S. ask courts to dismiss government appeals of TikTok ruling:
- By Reuters API Published Jul 13, 2021 Reading time 2 minutes Download Print Text size aA+ aA- By Reuters API Published Jul 13, 2021 The Biden administration on Monday asked two federal appeals courts to dismiss the Justice Department’s legal challenges to court rulings that barred a Trump-era effort to ban new downloads of Chinese-owned video-sharing app TikTok.
- ReutersLast month, President Joe Biden withdrew a series of executive orders issued by former President Donald Trump that sought to ban new downloads of WeChat, TikTok and other Chinese apps and ordered a new review.
- The Commerce Department on June 22 formally withdrew a list of prohibited transactions with ByteDance-owned TikTok and Tencent-owned WeChat issued in September that sought to bar downloads of the apps.The Justice Department said Monday that the government’s legal challenges were now moot.
- During Donald Trump’s presidency, the Commerce Department had also sought to ban other transactions that would have effectively banned WeChat’s use in the United States and later sought similar restrictions that would have barred TikTok’s use.
- The Biden order directed the Commerce Department to monitor software applications like TikTok that could affect U.S.