Sumary of US show to celebrate work of black fashion trailblazer Patrick Kelly:
- A retrospective of the work of Patrick Kelly, the black fashion designer who confronted racist stereotypes, will be staged in the autumn..
- Runway of Love will open at San Francisco de Young Museum on 23 October, celebrating his short but hugely influential career..
- The exhibition originally ran at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 2014, but will be expanded for the West Coast..
- He became friends with the black model Pat Cleveland, who suggested he move to Paris where he established his own fashion house, Patrick Kelly Paris, in 1988..
- Laura Camerlengo, the associate curator of costume and textile arts at the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, told the fashion industry publication WWD…