Sumary of Anatomy of a trend by Christine Boland: crochet, knotting & macramé:
- In ‘Anatomy of a trend’ trend analyst Christine Boland anatomizes a specific trend worth keeping an eye on.
- The trend For SS22 there’s a major role for (wearable) arts and crafts – think crochet, knotting, braiding, macramé, weaving and twining.
- For example at Fendi they used rattan – a material traditionally used for furniture – as textile design for their techno white shoes and knitwear, transforming something seemingly incompatible into modern wearable designs.
- Hence the design language term ‘recontextualised traditional crafts’.
- The origin Thanks to the pandemic we’ve seen a rise in all things handmade, not only in fashion but also in interior design.