Sumary of ‘Darkness and light’: Alexander McQueen fashion house comes home to London:
- Twenty years after a young Lee McQueen signed a deal with Gucci and moved his catwalk shows from East End carparks in London to plush Parisian salons, the Alexander McQueen brand marked the world’s shifting back on to its axis by coming home.
- The first McQueen show in 18 months brought actors Vanessa Kirby, Emilia Clarke and Kosar Ali to a front row of folding chairs on the 11th floor of a Wapping multistorey where the Shard, Gherkin and Walkie-Talkie buildings gave an alfresco catwalk a recognisable London backdrop.
- Photograph: David M Benett/Getty Images for Alexander McQueen“I wanted to be high up on a rooftop, as a moment of release after what we’ve all been through,” said the designer Sarah Burton after the show.
- Photograph: David M Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images for Alexander McQueenShards of silver sequins rattled like hailstones from floor-length hems as models stomped the catwalk in chunky-soled boots.
- This being an Alexander McQueen show, there was close-cropped hair, and tattoos;