Sumary of Gaultier x Sacai’s couture confusion:
- Published Jul 7, 2021 Reading time 2 minutes Download Print Text size aA+ aA- Published Jul 7, 2021 Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men.
- But after Wednesday’s debut it’s probably best it’s just a one off collection with a quickie divorce.See catwalkJean Paul Gaultier x Sacaï – Fall-Winter2021 – Haute Couture – Paris – © PixelFormulaIn response to Gaultier’s decision to retire last year, the house came up with a novel plan;
- request a different designer each season to create a Gaultier Paris couture collection.The choice of Chitose Abe, the acclaimed designer of Sacai, was hailed as a master stroke.
- wild flight jackets and Parisian trench-coats – and thrown them into a blender along with her own signature assemblage techniques.See catwalkJean Paul Gaultier x Sacaï – Fall-Winter2021 – Haute Couture – Paris – © PixelFormulaThe result was, well, pretty messy.For instance, Jean-Paul’s much loved deconstructed denim gowns became a weird dress with ten pairs of jeans stitched into its back.
- The sort of look a talented assistant dreams up but never makes the edit onto the catwalk.See catwalkJean Paul Gaultier x Sacaï – Fall-Winter2021 – Haute Couture – Paris – © PixelFormulaAdmittedly there were some ideas that seemed instant museum quality: the dramatic flight-jacket combo cut like a mad courtier, or the collection’s one outstanding look – a super-heroine in patchwork Aran sweater and matching platform boots.In effect, the collection only served to undermine what a brilliant designer Gaultier has always been.