Sumary of High street boost: 17k new local stores could open in 12 months – report:
- Published Jul 22, 2021 Reading time 2 minutes Download Print Text size aA+ aA- Published Jul 22, 2021 In a major boost to UK physical retail that has been devastated by widespread closures during the pandemic, we could expect 17,000 local high street stores to open in the next 12 months, according to new research from Barclays Corporate Banking.
- Photo: PexelsConsumers are keen for retailers to open stores in their neighbourhoods and also expect them to be sustainability-focused, the report says.
- Barclays’ data also shows that UK consumers have returned to physical stores “with confidence since restrictions began to ease”.
- Some 68% say they have ‘felt safe, or very safe’, to return to the high street, 40% are planning on stepping up their in-store shopping over the coming year and 41% say that it’s their favourite way to shop.
- A quarter of consumers (25%) now say that the best way a retailer can appeal to them is to open stores in their local area.