Sumary of Is Fashion Finally Ready to Move Beyond Gendered Style?:
- Image Source: Getty / Dia Dipasupil Telfar Clemens and Ashton Sanders attend the 2019 Met Gala Shopping comes with its own frustrations when we’re forced to stick to one of two genders: male or female.
- So what do you do if you don’t fall into these narrow categories or you want to shop across genders?
- For a long time, fashion didn’t really have an answer to this (aka, it’s your problem), but with more and more consumers seeking out gender-neutral apparel, the industry is being forced to question outdated gender norms.
- Sure, androgynous fashion isn’t new (think Billy Porter, Twiggy, Annie Lennox, David Bowie, and Prince), but many contemporary brands like Pyer Moss, Eckhaus Latta, Bode, Nudie Jeans, and Telfar are embracing a more fluid aesthetic and creating clothing that can be worn by everyone, no matter their gender identity.
- Image Source: Getty / Pietro D’Aprano A model walks the runway at Telfar’s fashion show in January 2020. “We tend to gender everything.