Sumary of Let the fashion policing begin on opening day of Tokyo Games:
- And when they do, the peanut gallery on what they’re wearing will be open, too.
- There’s the Czech Republic and its traditional indigo block-print design with matching fans, already the butt of some jokes.
- Designer Giorgio Armani, centre, poses with Italian Olympic athletes at the end of the Emporio Armani men’s Spring-Summer 2020 collection, unveiled during the fashion week, in Milan, Italy (AP file photo/Luca Bruno) In the beginning, clothes were optional altogether, during competition anyway, according to scholars.
- In more modern times, parade uniforms often pay homage to a host country, in addition to traditions, athletic feats and patriotic flourishes.
- For the closing ceremony, Canada’s Olympic organizers teamed with Levi’s to produce a denim “Canadian tuxedo” jacket alive with Japanese street-style graffiti to be worn with white denim pants.