Sumary of Natural materials “lack investment and innovation” says Allbirds sustainability head:
- The race to tackle carbon emissions is being hampered by underinvestment in new plant-based materials, according to Hana Kajimura of Allbirds, which has launched a low-carbon trainer with Adidas..
- Sneaker production is responsible for 1.4 per cent of all global greenhouse gas emissions compared to the 2.5 per cent that is contributed by air travel..
- Now, the company has teamed up with footwear brand Allbirds, which has created its own carbon footprint calculator and has been declaring the emissions of all its shoes since last April..
- The brand was also among the initial signatories of the B Corp Net Zero 2030 pledge, committing itself to reaching net-zero emissions 20 years ahead of the Paris targets..
- “It doesn’t just help with the materials aspect but it means fewer transportation emissions and less energy use.”.
- “To balance out whatever emissions are created in other parts of the shoe, the materials have to be carbon negative and act as carbon sinks.”…