Sumary of UK fast fashion: Half of top brands’ clothes made entirely from virgin plastic:
- A study looking into the use of plastics in the UK fast fashion industry has found that 49 percent of the clothing from four top brands is made entirely using virgin plastics..
- Boohoo was the biggest culprit with 67 percent of its fashion made entirely from fabrics derived from petrochemicals such as polyester, acrylic, nylon and polyamide..
- ‘Vanishingly small’ amount of recycled fabrics The study comes amid mounting criticism of the global fast fashion industry and its astronomical carbon footprint..
- One way the fashion industry has begun to mitigate its environmental impact in recent years is by using recycled materials, but the RSA study found a “vanishingly small”.
- A separate RSA study earlier this year suggested there is an ‘awareness gap’ when it comes to shoppers and the clothing they buy, with just 49 percent of those who regularly buy fast fashion admitting to buying clothing that contains synthetic materials..
- It also said fast fashion brands should look at new ways to promote second-hand clothing and other circular business models such as rental and repair services, and should regularly publish statistics on how much plastic goes into their clothing….