Sumary of Upper East Sider Realizes She’s Privileged And other revelations from Leandra Medine’s interview on The Cutting Ro…:
- Leandra Medine Photo: Getty Images for Louis Vuitton Just over a year ago, Leandra Medine — founder of the now-defunct fashion blog Man Repeller — stepped down from her position at the site’s helm.
- Like many brands, Man Repeller posted a statement of allyship, only to find itself facing allegations of a toxic corporate environment that pushed out employees of color.
- In the 1.5-hour episode of Omondi’s podcast, The Cutting Room Floor, Medine addresses her experience of being “publicly proclaimed racist.” As Omondi points out, “publicly proclaimed privileged” feels closer to the mark, but all of it apparently came as a shock to Medine.
- and launched Man Repeller in 2010, while she was still in college, on the currency of her high-end closet — also said the revelation of her wealth came to her only recently.
- Though Medine once featured the family’s Southampton second home on Man Repeller, and though she admits she never received financial aid for, nor accrued debt from, her private education, she says she only connected the dots last summer.