Sumary of When fashion paraded on the walls:
- “The exhibition tells about this particular nascent reality of communication, presenting a hundred large posters, many restored for the occasion and never exhibited to the public from 1921 to 1956, thus maintaining a unique and unrepeatable stylistic coherence”.
- And narrative, in fact, is to tell the evolution of customs, the birth of a new social representation, the progressive female emancipation and above all the repercussions of the economic development of the industrial age on clothing through the visual and evocative grammar of advertising.
- The poster, as the largest and most striking, is the tool that from the end of the nineteenth century to the early fifties carpeted the walls of cities, building models and worlds and ways of participation and representation “, says curator Stefano Roffi.
- Powerful vehicle for its ability to penetrate and persuade and therefore strongly linked to the dissemination of fashions and lifestyles, as tailors and merchants had understood since the mid-nineteenth century.
- Dudovic, but also Aleardo Villa, Leopoldo Metlicovitz, Domenico
- It is no coincidence, therefore, that the title of the exhibition simply reads Fashion and advertising, 1850-1950.
- «The competition between department stores is fierce and every means, every idea, every novelty is an opportunity to capture and retain customers.