Sumary of Ironman Chris Nikic Receives Jimmy V Award at 2021 ESPYs: “I Get 1 Percent Better Every Day”:
- Special Olympics athlete Chris Nikic, of Florida, set a record last November as the first person with Down syndrome to finish an Ironman race, which includes swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles, and running a full 26.2-mile marathon.
- To complete an Ironman, you must finish in 17 hours, and Nikic completed the race in 16 hours, 46 minutes, and nine seconds.
- On July 10, Nikic was honored with the Jimmy V award for perseverance at the 2021 ESPYs.
- The Jimmy V award was instituted in 2007 and named after famed North Carolina State University basketball coach Jim Valvano.
- At the 1993 ESPYs, Valvano won the Arthur Ashe courage award and gave a now-iconic acceptance speech with only months left to live after being diagnosed with glandular cancer.