Sumary of IBS Causes Bloating and Other Stomach Issues, but Can It Cause Weight Gain?:
- IBS can contribute to weight gain in a multitude of ways, explained Dr. Sonpal.
- He added that lifestyle habits such as poor diet, dehydration, and lack of exercise which worsen constipation in IBS sufferers, can also lead to weight gain, a slower metabolism, and excess body fat.
- Most people with IBS tend to lose their appetite due to the discomfort, Wong said, which actually leads to weight loss.
- But in other cases, Wong explained, “eating provides a different sensation that can mask the pain or discomfort from IBS, leading people to eat continuously, hence causing weight gain.
- ” In order to reduce IBS flare-ups, Dr. Sonpal also said someone may skip eating vegetables, fruits, and beans, and eat comforting, easier-to-digest processed carbs, which are more calorie-dense, another cause of weight gain.